Reading unit Day 1

I started a reading unit with my Spanish students today.  I am new at this so I am sharing what I did hoping for feedback....

We are reading the Clifford the Big Red Dog in Spanish.  I know.... not authentic.  One of my students gave me the set of ten books for Christmas.  I thought maybe we should use them.

Day 1 

I made a Power Point that had a cover of each book on a slide by itself.  Nothing else is on the slide.  We read the covers of the book and I checked to make sure they understood the title.  I had them think about what the picture on the cover was to show them one example of using context.

I had a Word document with the title of each book.  Students then folded a piece of paper into 10 parts.  In each part they wrote the title of a different book and made 2 predictions of what might happen in that book.  I instructed them to use very simple sentences and to only use the book, no dictionaries or translators.  They were surprised with how much Spanish they could remember and use.

At the end of the hour each pair of students was assigned a book.
That is as far as we got today.  I am having them save their predictions to see how close they were.

The end result will be a Newsletter they will have to create.  They will have to design a newsletter and include items such as a summary of the book, a description of the main character (Clifford), and advice column for an event in the book, a comic strip about the plot, and some advertisements, puzzles, etc.  

If you have any suggestions for some activities in between today & the final project, please share.  I am thinking about vocabulary montages, verb finds and the like.  

Gracias,  Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment